The UAE currently has about 17,000 hotel rooms in its construction pipeline. That’s a huge figure and this means ample opportunities for designers/manufacturers who are keen to enter the contract sector supply-chain in the UAE. So here’s our top 5 tips on accessing the opportunities.
1) Be present, have a local representative – you need to have a local presence. Sale and after-sale support is an essential requirement for the clients. They need to know you are reachable for any support/issue that may potentially arise.
2) Relationship building – procurement teams are often bombarded with meeting requests. Stay away from an aggressive sales approach, you may end up being blacklisted. Instead find ways to meet them at events and conferences and build a relationship gradually. You need to be top-of-mind for the right reasons when the opportunity arises.
3) Prequalify – to prequalify as a vendor in any client system you need to prove the quality of your product and efficiency of service. This could mean shipping free samples across or even encouraging factory visits for quality checks. You need to convince that you can deliver efficiently.
4) Import codes – prior to appointing a distributor always check if they have the necessary import codes. Clients won’t necessarily have one and would like you to manage door-to-door logistics. In rare cases, for shipping samples, the client will be able to receive goods directly. Do your background check and ask the right questions.
5) Trade Shows – either as an exhibitor or a visitor, but be there at trade shows. It’s a great way to gather industry insights, to get a feel of the market and you never know who you meet and what opportunities present themselves.