The BCB is a business-to-business professional services company established with the mandate to provide operational support and market entry services in the UAE to British companies.
We work alongside the British government to deliver on-demand trade services, providing practical assistance, guidance and orientation for UK exporters.
The BCB’s Trade Advisory Service (TAS) helps clients expand their commercial horizons in the UAE across sectors covering products and services.
Through the BCB in Dubai, we provide companies with incubator-style support to help them get underway in the UAE.
The BCB is part of OCO Global, a leading trade & investment consultancy that works with governments, companies and organisations around the world promoting both inward investment and outbound exports.
A high-quality candidate is sought for the position of Trade Manager, Consumer & Retail sector. This is a high profile & demanding position for the right individual who can develop UK trade, support British companies and further deliver the BCB initiative in the UAE.
Reporting to the Business Operations Manager, you will be responsible for delivering services to UK companies within the consumer & retail sectors and occasionally support in delivering projects from other sectors, as required.
They are responsible for developing UK trade in the sector, liaising with the UK, building a local network of partners & contacts, delivering trade services to British companies and assist in formulating a commercially viable long-term plan in the UAE.
You will ensure that companies considering exporting their goods or services to the Middle East are provided with high-quality information and support to be able to make an informed judgement about whether the market is suitable for their company.
You will work in partnership with the British Embassy, the rest of the BCB team and stakeholders in the UK and the UAE to ensure that the BCB fulfils its mission.
As part of OCO, you will be involved in non-UK projects providing investment and lead generation support, delivering representation services and trade projects for our global network of clients.
You will fulfil the following key functions:
- Collaborate with the Trade team in the UAE to define and articulate a sector-specific plan and to develop strategies for achieving that vision.
- Assist in creating annual business plans that support the strategic direction set by the UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT) in correlation with annual operating budgets.
- Develop and monitor strategies for ensuring the long-term financial viability of the BCB’s sector work.
- Identify and assess specific target areas for the BCB / UK SMEs to operate in and proactively market this towards the UK sales channels via the Export Opportunities platform.
- Work with DIT in the UAE to establish a programme of complimentary activities, clear points of contact and pipeline growth.
- Analyse and review the BCB’s product offering relative to the needs of the market for UK SMEs; suggest & propose new services & revenue channels.
- Research & business planning on behalf of our FDI clients to ensure targeted & relevant outreach
- Oversee the BCB’s work & support for UK SMEs within consumer & retail sector.
- Provide UK SMEs with verified quality support & advice.
- Research, author & edit BCB’s bespoke projects and reports for clients.
- Arranging commercially relevant visits, meetings & introductions for UK firms coming to the UAE.
- Work along-side DIT in the UAE to ensure consistent approach between BCB & DIT to UK companies
- Develop a network of key sector contacts & supporters to provide industry intelligence and commercial opportunities for UK SMEs
- Support the Business Operations Manager in promoting the wider-BCB offer and provide back-up to other sectors as required
- Deliver marketing activities: attend trade shows & events; provide mission briefings to UK firms; develop social & online media interest; write articles; speak at conferences & webinars
- Work with partners in the UK to develop and service a sector-specific pipeline of commercial opportunities
- Build a commercially viable model for delivering advice & support in the sector through the BCB
- Collaborate with OCO’s overseas offices to support their business development efforts, client interest and projects that require Middle East support
You will possess the following skills, characteristics and background:
Bachelors Degree, ideally in a business-related subject, required.
Background and Experience
- Extensive and broad business experience, including at least 5 years working in the UAE
- Extensive experience working in either a relevant business advisory, trade development organisation or consultancy
- Experience working for or with UK governmental bodies would be advantageous
- A successful business track record as evidenced by a consistent CV and demonstrable commercial performance indicators
- Planning and commercial experience
- Arabic language skills are an advantage.
Desired Skills and Knowledge
- Sector interest: demonstrable knowledge, experience & passion for the consumer & retail sector will be preferred
- Understanding of UAE regulatory & business environment
- Extensive professional network in the UAE, especially in the relevant sector amongst the UAE’s retail & grocery buyers
- Ability to build and nurture relationships across multiple networks
- Comfortable working in a fast-growing business where the business environment is dynamic and subject to rapid change
- Capacity to multi-task and take on additional responsibilities as they emerge
- Passion for business, growing trade & providing client satisfaction
- Strong analytical skills and exemplary time management/organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills, especially writing
- Discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information.
- Previous experience of working with and building business processes, especially CRM.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with multiple external and internal stakeholders, including DIT, BBGs, UK Government representatives generally, UAE governmental departments and representatives and, most importantly, the business community in the UAE & overseas
- Excellent commercial and financial management skills
- Presentation skills; must feel comfortable & appear accomplished in front of a large audience
- Must enjoy working in a hands-on, start-up environment
To apply, please send your CV, and a cover letter to email@example.com by Monday 27th August 2018