In 2016 Dubai aims to become a Smart City. This means that wifi access will be free and plentiful, and everything we need to achieve in terms of government will happen via apps. Of course, I am paraphrasing slightly, but you see where we’re going. The concept of Dubai Silicon Oasis raises the regional technology bar, the philosophy that created it in 2004 still holds strong.
DSO is a mixed use development about ten minutes drive from the beach. Like many others in Dubai, it is a self sufficient community with grocery shopping, schooling, and housing, and is accessed by two of the primary motorways of the UAE (E311, E611). Once your incubation term with the BCB is complete you may choose to set-up as a Free Zone company (information about Free Zone’s is available in other articles on this blog). Office rent in DSO is lower than in other areas, such as the higher profile Media City.
DSO is home to global giants Fujitsu, Schneider Electric, Western Digital, Henkel, 3W Networks, Nortel Networks, and Wavetec, as well as a host of smaller companies – all using it as a base to conduct regional business from.
- IV: Corporate Income Tax in the UAE (10 things to know before setting up a business in the UAE)
- Strengthening Economic Ties: UAE & UK Forge Robust Trade & Foreign Direct Investment Relationship
- I: Demystifying the UAE Trade Licence: What Companies Need to Know (10 things to know before setting up a business in the UAE)
- II: Emiratisation drive – acting locally, thinking globally (10 things to know before setting up a business in the UAE)
- III: An Overview of the UAE Visa Types (10 things to know before setting up a business in the UAE)